Monday, October 8, 2007

Response to Understanding Comics

It was very interesting learning about comics in a comic book. The author can vary much with contents because he is in a comic book! And I can follow him easily because he is in a comic! By reading this book, indeed, I could see comics with a different angle. And I recalled the moment that I read a comic book. When I read a comic book, I could be involved more than reading a novel. On the other hand reading a lot of letters in the novels, I felt like being a third person who saw the story outside of the story. The author says that we are so involved in a cartoon because of a comic is ICONIC. I thought this is the most important reason why there are a lot of people who like comics. I really agree with this phrase: "There is no life here (here is a face icon) except that which you give to it." According to him, comics totally depend on audiences.

Also I could learn comics behind rules such as time frames that I have never recognized reading comic books. I was very interested in his discussion about the differences between American comics and Japanese comics in the chapter of time frames.

I like comics because I can follow it easily. In every story we can understand its meaning easily if it has simple formats. But it is very hard to simplify. I think comics are really great works that embody the simplicity very well.

No comments: